Godwin Isenyo, Kaduna
The death toll in the attack by suspected Fulani herdsmen on the natives of Godogodo town, Jema’ah Local Government Area, Kaduna State, has hit 40, on Monday.
The National President of Southern Kaduna Peoples’ Union, Solomon Musa, said that so far, the people of the community had been able to identify not less than 40 corpses apart from the several other corpses burnt beyond recognition.
This is just as condemnation on Monday trailed the killing which took place between Saturday and Sunday.
The incident forced the interim Chairman of Jema’ah Local Government Council, Dr. Humble Katuka, to impose a 24-hour curfew on the LGA.
The Deputy Governor of Kaduna State, Barnabas Bala, had described the attack as unjustifiable even as the Southern Kaduna Peoples’ Union described it as barbaric.
Bala, who addressed journalists in the wake of the attack, however, appealed for calm.
He said, “This type of attack is unjustifiable and unacceptable. Every effort is being made to restore peace to the area. We strongly appeal for support as security agencies work round the clock to make the affected area safe.”
The herdsmen’s attack left no fewer than 20 natives of Godogodo community dead.
The national president of SOKAPU said Godogodo community had been deserted following the attack.
“Godogodo town, once again, came under an unprovoked attack by Fulani herdsmen from Saturday, October 15, 2016 to Sunday, October 16. This is despite the frantic calls for help from the villagers on those constitutionally saddled with the task of safeguarding Nigerian citizens,” he said.
He said apart from the 40 corpses identified by the natives, virtually all houses in the town had been burnt.
Musa said, “The herdsmen wreaked maximum havoc by killing our people. So far, the people of the town have been able to identify not less than 40 corpses aside from the several other corpses burnt beyond recognition. Virtually, all the houses in the town have been burnt.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Kaduna State Command, Aliyu Usman, however, said the death toll remained 20.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
The post Death toll in Kaduna herdsmen attack hits 40 appeared first on Punch Newspapers.